- Louis Vuitton bags are correlated with being rich.
- Therefore, to become rich, purchase Louis Vuitton bags.
Yet, people propose that we should aim to be monogamous, and stick with one partner; not because we want to be monogamous, and have found someone we want to commit to; but because monogamy is correlated with happiness.
Imagine three couples:
- Couple A are both mentally healthy, and are a good match. Because they are a good match, they do not seek other partners. They live together happily, and for a long time.
- Couple B are both mentally healthy, but are not a good match. Because they are not a good match, they divorce. They each find new partners, and become happy.
- In couple C, one is mentally healthy, the other isn't. Because of this, the relationship suffers. Eventually, they divorce. The mentally healthy partner finds a good match, and becomes happy. The other goes through several relationships before getting help, and then finds happiness.
In order to find happiness as part of a couple, you must first be a person who can have a relationship. Then, you have to find a partner who is a good match.
Once you have become this person, and found a right partner – it doesn't matter if you're monogamous. You probably will be monogamous, because neither of you will need other people. But if you want to explore non-monogamy with this partner, that is also just as fine.