C++ Relocator proposal

Last month, I spent two weeks working on the following formal proposal for a new C++ feature:

Relocator: Efficiently moving objects

After incorporating much feedback in the C++ Proposals forum, I believe this proposal represents not only my ideas; but close to a consensus of everyone who expressed interest in this feature. I believe the document is fairly polished. I have submitted it as proposal P0023 via Ville Voutilainen, chair of the Evolution section of the ISO C++ working group (WG21).

It so happens that Ville is also the person who most vocally disagreed with my observations last month about problems in C++ standardization – to the extent of us colliding in a somewhat fiery altercation:

Ossification and Hawaii: Impressions of a C++ working group

When I submitted this proposal, Ville reiterated his position that I need to find a champion to represent it in the next WG21 meeting in October in Hawaii. This is how the Working Group goes about its work.

So far – despite considerable positive feedback – no one has volunteered to actually go to Hawaii for this. It seems most likely that I, also, will not be in a position to make the trip.

I think this will provide a data point about whether, and to what extent, ISO C++ has a problem.

I make the following prediction:

If I don't go to Hawaii; and no one else goes to champion this proposal; then it will not even be considered, despite support and interest in the C++ Proposals forum, and relative lack of opposition.

I'm not saying that the proposal should be accepted. I'm saying: if no one goes to Hawaii for it, it will not even be considered. It will be as though the work was never done; and the proposal never existed.

And if this happens; as I think it will – then, not fortunately at all, it will reinforce the idea that decent proposals, with decent support, are being lost, simply due to the nature of the standardization process.

Comments

Michael Price said…
Or you could present it at the next meeting, or the one after that, or the one after that.

Most proposals do not have an expiration date.
denis bider said…
Yup. Letting language standards used by millions of developers worldwide be dictated by what does, and does not, fit into specific individuals' travel plans, is wise, professional, and the best we can do, indeed. /s

Popular posts from this blog

"Unreachable" beauty standards

Is the internet ready for DMARC with p=reject?

When monospace fonts aren't: The Unicode character width nightmare