This is how I lose weight

This is how I lose (and maintain) weight.


Advantages:
  • If you stick to it, it works. Reliably.
  • Spreadsheet tells me when I can eat, how much I can eat, and how much protein I should get in the near future.
  • It helps me follow a nutrition plan where I eat 20 or more grams of protein in every 3 hour window, and 130-160 grams of protein every day. This means I actually lose fat, instead of muscle, and keep most of my muscle mass.

Disadvantages:
  • Requires an aptitude for numbers.
  • Requires food with nutritional information, and/or constant look-ups on a site like TheCalorieCounter.com.
  • Requires weighing most items you consume, i.e. all items where the nutritional information is not framed for a practical, reliable serving.
  • For meals consisting of multiple ingredients, requires a cook willing to weigh every single ingredient, as well as the end result.
  • Some exercise is still necessary. You don't get any protein while you sleep. Muscle will atrophy if unused.

I've been using this system for 6 years. It has evolved from pen and paper to the spreadsheet on the screenshot.

It's a demanding system. However, if you aren't genetically gifted, in my opinion it's the only way to reliably lose weight, short of surgery.

My natural appetite is high; I'm attracted to low protein food high in sugar. If I stop sticking to the system for a period of several months, I lose all sense of how much calories is what, and find myself eating servings double the size I should be.

If you want to lose weight, hit the gym, lift weights, build muscle, and stick to this system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Unreachable" beauty standards

Is the internet ready for DMARC with p=reject?

When monospace fonts aren't: The Unicode character width nightmare