Illegality is what makes prostitution harmful
Wow. In Chicago, where prostitution is illegal:
- Roughly 3 percent of tricks performed by independent prostitutes are freebies given to police to avoid arrest.
- In fact, prostitutes get officially arrested only every 450 tricks or so, meaning that "a prostitute is more likely to have sex with a police officer than to get officially arrested by one."
- When counting freebies given to gang members, prostitutes do about 1 in 20 tricks to protect their trade.
Looking at this as a form of tax, it is in fact a very low tax. 1 in 20 tricks equals 5% of income. Consider what the government would take.
- Customers pay substantially more if they don't have to use a condom, and apparently, condoms are used only 20% of the time.
- prostitution is legal;
- condom use is 100 percent;
- there's no "protection sex" for the police or gang members; and
- there hasn't been a single case of HIV since 1988.