New Scientist: Paying taxes is a pleasurable duty

Interesting.

In my personal experience, I find that this is true. To the extent that I believe the taxes I am paying are assessed fairly, and to the extent that I have confidence that the money will be put to good use, I find paying taxes enjoyable.

I just found myself thinking the other day, as I was buying a $5 bottle of water at the Marriott: "If only a percentage of this bottle went for a sales tax, I could at least feel that by buying it I did something good."

As it happened, St. Kitts has no sales tax, and that water was bottled locally, so the $5 was pure markup going to the hotel store. That didn't feel as good.

Comments

Tomaz said…
I had same feelings when I was living in Switzerland. I was paying decent income tax for a very decent govt. service.

Unfortunately, Slovenia offers expensive low quality service and the only way out seems giving them less money and spending the rest on what we really need.

Popular posts from this blog

When monospace fonts aren't: The Unicode character width nightmare

VS 2015 projects: "One or more errors occurred"

Is the internet ready for DMARC with p=reject?